Climate Action Commissioner Connie Hedegaard mentioned: “Today marks the start of the tip for fluorinated gases in Europe. Not best is that this excellent for the weather, but in addition for the European industries that may spend money on extra leading edge, cleaner choices. And I actually hope that different giant emitters who’ve introduced motion to take on those bad greenhouse gases will now observe Europe’s instance and likewise go home regulation. This will ship a transparent sign about their dedication to take on weather exchange.”
- Fluorinated gases are a circle of relatives of tough greenhouse gases with a warming impact on the ambience as much as 23,000 instances more than that of CO2. They come with HFCs (hydrofluorocarbons) that are recurrently utilized in refrigeration and air con.
- The textual content authorized by way of the Parliament nowadays maintains the extent of ambition proposed by way of the Commission in 2012, which is able to lead to a two-thirds relief in F-gas emissions by way of 2030. The new Regulation introduces a phase-down measure that successively reduces the quantities of HFCs that may be bought within the EU and bans using F-gases in some new apparatus, similar to refrigerators and air conditioners.
- The revised Regulation will assist additional scale back the EU’s greenhouse fuel emissions whilst using technological innovation and developing nice alternatives for European companies.
- The determination confirms the European Union’s place as an international chief in taking sturdy measures on F-gases. The EU hopes it is going to encourage different nations to take equivalent motion so as to assist scale back world greenhouse fuel emissions and meet the the world over agreed purpose of conserving world warming under 2°C in comparison to the temperature in pre-industrial instances.
- The EU settlement must additionally allow you to come to an international settlement on phasing down HFCs beneath the Montreal Protocol. Its measures may have ripple results on different markets and have an effect on firms working globally. It can even show that efficient motion on HFCs is ‘low placing fruit’: climate-friendly choices can readily substitute fluorinated gases in lots of sectors at average value to society.